Fluoride Varnish in Monroe, MI
What is Fluoride Varnish?
At Kuras Dental Health Associates, Fluoride Varnish is an optional treatment offered at our Monroe, MI office that re-mineralizes and hardens the teeth and makes them more resistant to decay.
Who Should Use Fluoride Varnish?
Fluoride treatments are routinely used after cleaning for children, but many adults benefit from fluoride treatment as much as, or even more than children. Adults who show the following characteristics would benefit from a Fluoride Varnish treatment:
- Frequent decay
- Gum recession with exposed tooth root (roots are more vulnerable to decay)
- Sensitive teeth
- Dry mouth (a lack of normal saliva flow makes teeth more susceptible to decay)
- Infrequent brushing and flossing
- Frequent consumption of soda pop or other acidic drinks
- Crowns or multiple fillings (the edges of crowns and fillings are prone to decay)
- Active orthodontic treatment (brackets trap more plaque making teeth more likely to decay)
- Developmental defects in the teeth
Is Fluoride Varnish for Me?
If you have never had a cavity or have not had one for several years, eat a healthy diet low in sugar, brush 2-3 times a day and floss once a day, you do not need Fluoride Varnish. This treatment is best for patients who are at risk for accelerated dental decay and require the extra help to maintain their oral health.
Will My Insurance Cover This?
Generally insurance does not cover Fluoride Varnish for adults, but with a minimal investment, you can prevent much more costly repairs down the road. We would be happy to let you know how much.
Why Hasn’t Kuras Dental Offered This in the Past?
Kuras Dental Health Associates used to offer this service in the past, but the material that was previously used was found to not be as effective as initially believed. The new materials used today are much more effective, so we are again offering the services.
If you have questions about if Fluoride Varnish is right for you, please contact our Monroe, MI office today. A member of our team would be happy to answer all of your questions.