Fluoride Varnish in Monroe, MI
What is Fluoride Varnish?
An optional treatment that re-mineralizes and hardens the teeth and makes them more resistant to decay.
Who benefits from Fluoride Varnish?
Fluoride treatments are routinely used after cleaning for children, but many adults benefit from fluoride treatment as much as, or even more than children. Adults who show the following characteristics would benefit from a Fluoride Varnish treatment:
- Frequent decay
- Gum recession with exposed tooth root (roots are more vulnerable to decay)
- Sensitive teeth
- Dry mouth (a lack of normal saliva flow makes teeth more susceptible to decay)
- Infrequent brushing and flossing
- Frequent consumption of soda pop or other acidic drinks
- Crowns or multiple fillings (the edges of crowns and fillings are prone to decay)
- Active orthodontic treatment (brackets trap more plaque making teeth more likely to decay)
- Developmental defects in the teeth
Who doesn’t need Fluoride Varnish?
If you have never had a cavity or have not had one for several years, eat a healthy diet low in sugar, brush 2-3 times a day and floss once a day, you do not need Fluoride Varnish.
Will my insurance cover this?
Generally insurance does not cover Fluoride Varnish for adults, but with a minimal investment, you can prevent much more costly repairs down the road. We would be happy to let you know how much.
Why hasn’t Kuras Dental offered this in the past?
Racine Dental Group used to offer this service in the past, but the material that was previously used was found to not be as effective as initially believed. The new materials used today are much more effective, so we are again offering the services.